Baranov-Rossine Vladimir Davidovich (1888, Tavricheskaya province – 1944, France).
Painter and sculptor. He studied at the Odessa Art School (1903-1908), then in the Academy of Arts (1908-1909).
Together with D.D. Burliuk, A.V. Lentulov, and A.A. Ekster, he was an exponent at the first exhibitions of the avant-garde art in Malorossia. In 1910-1917, he lived in Paris ant traveled across the Europe. He exhibited at the Paris Salons, in Zurich and Amsterdam. A newspaper review by G. Apollinaire made the artist famous. In 1917 he has returned to Russia. He was close to K. Malevich’s Suprematism.
He become a head of the Studio of Painting in the Academy of Arts, was a VKHUTEMAS professor, and a member of the Art and Craft Industry Board of the Narkompros (People’s Commissariat of Education).
In the 1920-es, he developed the idea of a synthesis of music and colour, and in 1924 he arranged ‘Optophonic colour-visual concert’ in the Bolshoy Theater involving the ‘optophonic clavier’ invented by him. Since 1925, he lived in Paris. Retrospective exhibitions of Baranov-Rossine’s work were held in London and Paris galleries, and also in the State Tretyakov Gallery (2004).
His works are in the State Tretyakov Gallery, State Russian Museum, Museum of Modern Art in New York, Georges Pompidou Centre in Paris, and Ludwig Museum in Cologne.
Buy author works – Baranov-Rossine Vladimir Davidovich